CAKEAPOTAMUS

Monday, October 13, 2014

So... here's what happened...

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to share this on the Cakeapotamus social media. It's definitely more personal than business. But here's the thing: Cakeapotamus is pretty personal, too. We're not a national corporation. We're not a franchise. We're a small, family-owned business. Our cakes are individual, custom creations. Our clients are special people who allow us to be a part of their most special days. That's a big deal. So it really doesn't feel that weird to share my personal business here. You deserve to know why there's been a break in the whimsy.

Here's what happened last week:
Wednesday, around the middle of the day, I got a belly ache. It was pretty intense, so I went to the doctor. He ordered an ultrasound, but they couldn't fit me in for a scan until Thursday morning. My ultrasound ended around 10am on Thursday morning. By 1pm on Thursday afternoon, I was at the surgery center for an emergency hysterectomy.

It was scary. It was painful. Due to my... colorful... medical history, it was more complicated than it should have been. But I received great treatment, and I'm fine now. In fact, I just finished a cake for pick up this morning!

I hate that I missed things this weekend. I hate that I missed a cake. I hate that I missed a party. I am so, so grateful to Mr. Cakeapotamus for stepping up and filling the cupcake orders while I was in the hospital. I am so, so grateful to Shanna and Princessious for running the birthday party so that I didn't have to worry about it.

I am so sorry that I missed phone messages and emails while I was sick. I've already returned all the messages that I can see. If I missed you, please call or email again. You know I will never not return a message.

I'm going to take it easy this week. I'm definitely going to fill all the orders on the calendar for this weekend. But I might not be adding too much more to this week's plan. Sorry,

I want to thank everyone who has called or come by to offer kind thoughts and words. Thank you for being here. Thank you all for being the best people in the world to cake for. (I checked around- y'all really are the best.)

If you want to help, please order something. Maybe not for this weekend... but order a dozen cupcakes for your next tailgate or a little pumpkin cake for a friend. Book a girls' night out cake decorating class or a Halloween tea party. Help me keep my little business open, doing what I love, and I will recover so much faster.

Thank you,
mandi

1 comment:

  1. Mandi,
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
    Your pumpkin cake at GT Homecoming was a big hit! Thanks ever so much for everything you've done for the GT Band Alumni Association! Hope you'll be able to join us soon!
    Fireball

    ReplyDelete