CAKEAPOTAMUS

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Big Business and Stuff

Everybody thinks that their job is the hardest job ever. Most people are wrong, though, because my job is the hardest job ever.

Anyway, lots of business people think they have the hardest job ever. Maybe they do, what do I know? But I'm starting to get a little weary of hearing about how hard it's going to be to open a business.

Harder than working all day, going to school at night, making cakes on the side, being a wife, a mother of two, and getting sick? Probably not. But then, I don't know. I've not opened a business before, so maybe it really is harder than childbirth.

By and large, people have been kind and supportive of my bakery plans. Friends, family, and clients are all on board. Successful business owners are supportive as well. It's other small business owners who can be the Debbie Downers on this train ride. Because their job is WAY harder than I can imagine.

I was talking the other day to a small business owner who was waxing prophetic about how hard it is to start a business. Now, I don't disagree completely. It's a lot. But... as much paperwork as there is in starting a business, there's more in being a teacher. Just a regular teacher, even, not a special ed teacher with all the IEPs and whatnot. Business is a lot of paperwork, but I'm not daunted by it. Sorry.

Then, there's dealing with the public. Yeah. I've been teaching adolescents with behavior problems (and their parents) for seven and a half years. Bring it. I seriously doubt a cake client will threaten to sue me because I'm a witch. Yup, that happened during my time in education.

There's a lot to do, certainly. And I know there are requirements and roadblocks headed my way that I haven't even dreamed of yet. But I'm tired of hearing how hard it's going to be. And so, when that small business owner said, for the third time, how hard it is to open a business, I may have snapped at him a little. With a calm, straight face, I said, "Harder than beating cancer?"

I know. I shouldn't have. It's rude and dismissive.

"Excuse me?"

"Is it harder than beating cancer?" asked with polite curiosity.

"Well... I don't know. I've never had to deal with that. But I wouldn't think it's harder than cancer."

"Then it won't even be the hardest thing I've done this month, will it?"

I know. Rude.

Meanwhile, I called Coke during my lunch break today and I'm setting up an account so that I can sell bottles of soda in the shop. Wasn't hard... just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, will they be glass bottles of Coke? Coke de Mexico? mmmmm glass bottles are so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete