CAKEAPOTAMUS

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Valentimes

My daughter won't believe me when I tell her it's "Valentine" not "Valentime".

It's been a long long long time since I've just messed around with cake, playing for the sake of experimentation. I made a Valentiney cake today, just for shiggles.

I baked  a lemon cake and covered it in pink fondant. Then, I tried a new lace cutter to make a border:


Cute, right? 

But I got another new lace cutter for Christmas, too. I wanted to see what it could do. I made the other lace and then brushed it with pink petal dust to make the design more visible:


Fancy schmancy. Remember that rose mold I bought 2 years ago that I haven't tried yet? Let's make some roses out of fondant, too:


Meh. Let's try this lace mold in white:


Huh. That is so not me, but I bet someone else would like it. 

Remember that button mold from that baby shower cake a couple of years ago? Let's make some buttons to go with the first lace border:



Cute. 

 Let's try some stuff on the top. I can emboss some hearts into the fondant:



Or make some fondant heart confetti:



Yeah, this isn't really me. What kind of Valentine cake would I like. Oh, spiders! Holding hands.



See, they're on a date. That's why she's wearing a bow.

And maybe I can make a heart out of colored sugar:


That's enough decorating. Let's cut this bad boy open.



This was my first attempt at making a cake with polka dots inside. I'm partially pleased. Next time, less food coloring on the dots so they look less like... meat. 

Happy Valentimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment