CAKEAPOTAMUS

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

the algebra of creating a bakery

I believe it was Shakespeare who said:

"Your heart is true,
You're a pal and a confidant.
And if you threw a party
And invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift
Would be from me
And the card attached would say,
'Thank you for being a friend.'"

And he really knew what he was talking about, too. 

You know how, sometimes, you put more on your plate than your stomach can actually hold? "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach," they say.

Turns out, that can happen at auctions, too. Your eyes can be bigger than your wallet... or your car... or your storage space. Before you know it, you've bid on and won six really huge items at a closed supermarket auction in Montgomery and you have no idea how to get it to your storage space. And by "you" I mean "me". 

But come on! Doesn't it just scream, "Cupcake Display"?
I am very lucky that I have an amazing, supportive family. My mom was willing to wrangle the kids while my husband and I borrowed my brother's car and trailer to make the trips to Montgomery then Auburn then Montgomery then Auburn and then back to Atlanta. But we ended up being able to move all my purchases into the storage space... with a  little metric crapton of help.

At the store in Montgomery, we loaded up the trailer with the first group of stuff and drove it to Auburn... never going over 55mph. 

awww, yeah, making a move, Clampett style
There's a lot of stuff on that trailer, y'all. A lot. But we got it to Auburn and safely stored it in the storage unit that Mr. Cakeapotamus let me get after I bought the first oven for the bakery.

Then it was time to load this:
love. this. thing.
That's my display counter. It's 7 feet long and weighs about 937 pounds. And I love it so so much. But it weighs 8,326 pounds. We couldn't get it onto the trailer. 

Luckily, that guy from the auction- you know, that guy? The one who bid against me a few times? Yeah, him. He was there and he had a forklift. So he and some absolutely adorable college-age boys helped us load the counter into the trailer. Pure, random, kindness of strangers. Strangers in Bama shirts. Seriously. It was beautiful.


You have died of dysentery.

So once more, we toddled down the road at a cool 55mph with a trailer loaded with my lovely counter. We got back to the storage unit... and... huh. How were we supposed to get this thing off the trailer and into the storage unit without a forklift? 

We tried. We pushed, we pulled. We swore. I cried a little. Did I mention it was raining? And then the answer came in one of my patented Flashes of Brilliance. Call Mike. 

When in trouble, Friend Mike can make it better. 

Sure enough, Friend Mike came to our rescue. And between Mr. Cakeapotamus and Mike, the display counter is now safely stored in the display unit.

Now, follow me here. If it took three guys and a forklift to get the display counter on the trailer, but it only took Mr. Cakeapotamus and Mike to get the counter off the trailer and up into the storage unit... assuming that Mr. Cakeapotamus does the work of three brawny college boys... carry the two... thus, Mike = a forklift.

Algebra. Study it, kids. If for no other reason than to prove that one of your friends is a fork lift.

4 comments:

  1. I freaking love your blogs. The Oregon Trail reference killed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's shaped JUST LIKE the Oregon Trail wagon! I mean...

      Delete
  2. Shakespeare sure did write some amazing lyrics, er, poems. :-)

    ReplyDelete