CAKEAPOTAMUS

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Paying My Dues

If you look at a cake, not as just a confection, but as a step along the path of cakery enlightenment, well then, a cake is a little journey unto itself. Nay, an epic battle for sweetness. Sometimes the battle is calm. Sometimes, the cake fights back. Today, I got burned.

Literally.

See, I was trying to make a Christmas cake. I was gonna use some of my new knowledge from the ISAC demos. So I made this cake:


Cute, right? Embossed fondant, snowball border... cute. The plan was to pour some sugar Christmas lights and put them on there. Adorable! But... see, poured sugar is hot. Really hot. So there was this:


And I was stuck. I'm too chicken to try the sugar stuff again tonight. Not that I could do much anyway without my right thumb and index finger. My fingers hurt. So, piping on the cake was out... fondant work was out... what to do with the unfinished cake?

Of course! Dragees! I freehanded a snowflake out of silver dragees on the top. Thank you, Hallmark Channel, for the inspiration.



I gotta say, I'm proud of this save.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent save indeed! So sorry about your fingers. I can't imagine how much that hurt (and likely still does). Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete