CAKEAPOTAMUS

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Whimsy: Christel's Cake

Being a cake decorator is pretty great. I get to be a part of people's best days, I get to play with sugar all day, I get to listen to music all day long, and I can go to the bathroom whenever I want! (All of those things were not true of my previous career.)

Also pretty great: I get to meet other cake decorators!

 Cake decorators are an interesting bunch. By my count, there are roughly four point three bajillion cake decorators in the world today. Like any group of people, there are all kinds. Just... all kinds.
That swoop, y'all... love it!
I've made some amazing friends through cakery. Decorators and sugar artist from all over the world who get my fondant jokes and don't bother asking why I'm wearing a wrist brace- because they have them, too... it's wonderful.



I have no idea what's going on in this picture, but I think it's hilarious.
In March, I went to the CakeFest cake show in Louisiana to take some classes and pal around with my cake buddies. One of those buddies, Christel, made this amazing cake for the competition.


Isn't it pretty? Unfortunately, Christel flew to the cake show and so logistics were preventing her from taking her cake display home. Since her home is in Atlanta, I offered to drive her cake home with me so that she could come get it from Cakeapotamus. We're not too far from Atlanta, after all. And so I did.

But you know how it is.

Sometimes, you have a beautiful display cake sitting in your bakery that isn't yours, and you start to get... antsy. I swear, I don't know where these ideas come from, but I found myself thinking, "Wouldn't it be funny if I got some pictures of the Cakepot characters with Christel's cake and sent them to her?"
[ProTip: If you hear me utter the words, "Wouldn't it be funny...", proceed with caution.]

So, we started where you might expect: Stormtrooper attack.

Hey, did you know that if you click on a picture in Facebook Messenger, you can draw on it like in Paint? Check out this high quality special effect that I drew:
 My life is so much fun.
"What next?", I wondered. Oh! What about that scene in Ghostbusters where he pulls the tablecloth off the table in the fancy room?
And... the flowers are still standing!
Right? I only had about a week to do this, so I was crunched to see who, if anyone, I could get to come take a picture with this cake. I must say, the cakepots came through with flying colors.

I got a little Harry Potter action:
Dr. Whorrible:
 and Captain Hammer...

 Me and my airbrush... can you imagine the havoc this thing could wreak on that white fondant?
And come on... how cool is this one?
You know I just had to try and get a princess picture in there:
And I love, love, love the Men in Black picture:
By the time I sent Christel the MiB picture, she had already decided to come down and rescue her cake sooner rather than later. And she did:
She even got a cookie for her troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment